Monday, July 16, 2012

Naschmarkt

 To save this post from having over 40 pictures (camera happy? yes.), I spent over an hour collaging some together.  Since Eric wasn't here to help me I probably downloaded an illegal program that has a computer killing virus on it all for the sake of making adorable collages (and not having to wait 3 hours for all the pictures to upload). In any case, the program I used left a very classy water mark on every picture. Kill me now. Next time I'll wait for the computer genius.

Annnyways...about the pictures. Naschmarkt is Vienna's largest and most famous market.  It has been around since the 16th century, is about 1.5 kilometers long and on Saturdays it is HOPPIN!


You can buy fresh fruit and vegetables from all around the world at Naschmarkt. I didn't even know what some of them were but I was so happy to see Avocados! On Saturdays it is complimented by a flea market which is best described as "a Utah crafters dream".  It is unlike anything I've ever seen, antiques of every kind.  If I had a crafty bone in my body I'm sure I could find some gems. 


 Since they don't use preservatives, bread is always fresh in Vienna. Everyone is constantly buying and eating bread because it is so delicious. I don't think "carb-conscious" is in their vocabulary and it's quickly fading from mine. Not to worry though, "walk everywhere, never drive" has also been added to mine so hopefully it balances out. 


The market has over 120 stands.  It was a good thing they let you sample because I had no clue what some of the things were.  Like all of the items above haha.


Exotic herbs, spices, cheese, baking goods, dried fruit, hummus, and numerous flower stands line the market street. I love seeing everyone carrying fresh flowers home. I must do the same! 


There is even a stand for fresh pasta!  You can take it to go or sit down at one of their outside tables and they will make you a hot dish right there. Carb heaven!



Next time we go we are trying the pasta, but Eric wanted to dig into a Doner Kebab.  They have kebab stands all over the city and they smell soooo good.  I was a little hesitant at first because they just have a huge hunk of meat hanging from the ceiling that they slice from when you order. But I have to admit it was pretty delicious, filling, and only 3 euro. Sold.

3 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING!!!! you are going to enjoy every minute there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous. It looks so cool there. Hope you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is this? Wow, you really are experiencing some different, yet amazing, culture! I am loving your updates. Keep them coming, please! Also, I am glad you two made it safely and (from what I can tell) are having a great time so far. We love and miss you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete