Monday, November 5, 2012

Mid-Morning SweetTreat

Sometimes I just need a little treat.... right around 9am. Don't know why, but that is when the craving for something sweet will hit and usually it's after a healthy breakfast. Go figure. If there happens to be a roll of frozen cookie dough in my freezer, and such a craving comes over me, that dough can say goodbye to the oven and hello to my mouth! Have you ever tried cutting frozen cookie dough? It takes some serious effort and a sharp knife, or a lot of chipping away with a fork. But when there's a will, there's a way, thus requiring me to make another batch of cookie dough to have on hand for my lack of self control.

But this morning when I had my regular mid morning cookie dough craving, (while organizing yet again my kitchen cupboards) I decided to try a healthier route, for sake of my overall well being and definitely not because I didn't have any frozen cookie dough. 

What I ended up with, was so delicious, egg-less, butter-less, and sugar-less that I felt no shame in eating them right out of the pan! They might be my favorite granola bar/no bake cookie/cookie dough wannabe ever! They totally satisfied my craving...and they have my absolute favorite new cooking ingredient, coconut oil in them. I am cookoo for coconut oil, it is like my "Windex" from My BIG Fat Greek Wedding! More on that later.
If you need a tasty little guilt free treat on hand, make these! You can personalize them to your refined tastes and they are easy peasy. You'll be done in under 5 minutes.


No Bake Wannabe's

ingredients:
1/2 cup peanut butter 
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup total of any combination of chopped nuts, sesame seeds, chocolate chips, flaxseed or dried fruit

directions:
In a medium sized saucepan, melt together peanut butter, honey and coconut oil.

Remove from heat and add oats and coconut. Then take your 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill it up with your favorite ingredients from the ones listed above until it is full. Toss them in and stir it up. **My favorite combo is chopped walnuts, sesame seeds, and just a small amount of chocolate chips. Instead of chocolate chips you could also just add a Tablespoon or so of cocoa.

Spread it into a pan (8x8) and then chill in the fridge for about an hour. 

Cut them up and wrap in plastic wrap for a quick snack when you're running out the door. Store in the fridge. They will stay good for about a week, but probably won't last that long.





3 comments:

  1. I am totally trying these! We are trying to be healthier and I LOVE no bake cookies...definitely a must for us to try. Thanks for the recipe!

    xoxox
    The Johnsons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coco oil!!!
    awww meant to be friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try these! P.S. you're famous. I've seen quite a few people pin this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete