Monday, December 3, 2012

Tinsel Town

Every year when the holiday season rolls around, I feel like time just starts flying by in a blur of christmas lights, cookies, presents, and hot chocolate! All of the sudden the turkey is stuffed, I am stuffed, the tree is up, the music is on, The Grinch has been watched, santa has come and it's a Happy New Year! How does this happen? I want to enjoy every minute but I feel like I am constantly looking forward to the next event on the calendar and don't stop until I look back and realize it is all over.

But this morning Eric and I did stop to notice the snow falling outside....

love love love this time of year and being in Vienna makes it even more wonderful, but it also makes being away from our family and dear friends that much harder! Maybe it is just me, but this time of year always makes me reminisce about "christmas pasts" (no...there is no ghost in my room right now) and all the wonderful memories I have. I think more than anything I am just so grateful for the magic I felt as a child and just miss being around those people and doing those traditions in my nostalgic memories.

However, the separation hasn't stopped me from feeling that holiday magic here! Eric & I have our mini tree up/on our kitchen table and I trimmed it with with miniature ornaments.




Saturday, Eric and I worked at the Vienna Bazaar selling stuff donated from our ward members to raise money for the youth to go on a temple trip in the spring. It turned out to be a huge success, and the bazaar was so cool. It was kind of like Epcot set up shop in Austria for a day. Tons of countries had booths set up selling authentic cuisine and goods from their homeland. There was so much food and way too many people! After we went on a Christmas sight seeing rampage. Honestly, it would be quite impossible not to get caught up in the whimsical feeling here, I absolutely love it. The whole city has transformed into a tinsel town.
I am worried we will not be able to see everything before the season is over! We went to another Christkindlmarkt (Christmas market) at Karlsplatz, walked down Mariahilferstrasse sipping kinder punch (apple cider), and then walked down another decorated street full of vintage shops, window shopped and picked up the necessities to make our first chicken pot pie.





*please notice the gourmet touch of the Christmas tree cut-out* haha
it turned out so rich and so good.

 So I guess even though we miss our fams & friends like crazy we won't be scrooges!



3 comments:

  1. Your little tree is adorable. And that's so cool you helped raise money for the youth to go on the temple trip! Being farther away from a temple really makes you appreciate growing up with ones so close. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been thinking of you two, especially with the holidays and you two being across the world.

    Also, I extra love the little tree on your pie. You really need to teach me the motivation to bake. I know I can do it...I just need your motivation. :)

    Just know that your family back home is thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is maybe the coolest thing in the world.

    Oh wait, is that what I comment on everything of yours?

    I mean it every time though! This looks just magical! Especially the pic with the snow on the cute Austrian roof. Also, I've been thinking I need to get to the temple, but it is so inconveniently 30 minutes away. Ha! This is just what I needed to read about (saving for a youth temple trip) to get a little fire under my bum and stop taking it for granted.

    PS But really, this is the coolest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete