Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cupcake Shoulder Devil

This one time, I had half a box of Rice Krispies, a sleeve of Graham Crackers, and a bar of chocolate sitting in my cupboard... calling my name! The trouble with loving to bake is that it's this constant battle between my heart and.... the rest my body! 

On one shoulder I have a cute little cupcake saying things like: "Just go ahead, whip out the butter!  Aren't there some neighbors you owe treats to? Your "Baking Betty" Pinterest board is full of new recipes to try. Eric loves when you make him treats. If you just lick the spoon, (and a little of the bowl) it's not like you're really eating the treats. There are practically no calories before it's baked." 

But then on my other shoulder I have a tiny little Yoga Master saying, "You do not need sugary sweets to complete a meal. Think of your figure! You will undo all the good sun salutations you just finished. Eric doesn't need the extra calories either. Why don't you just chop up a cucumber and drink 32 oz of water?! Go for a run fatty!" 

Granted, both make valid points. But more times than not, the cupcake wins!
 So S'mores Rice Krispy treats it was! I absolutely LOVE all forms of Rice Krispies!!! And trust me, I've tried plenty.... Cake batter, White Chocolate, Toasted Coconut, Peanut Butter and Chocolate, the list goes on. But I also have always loved s'mores. So these little guys were something special.... 

Not only did they taste soooo scrumptious, we could harldy keep from eating the entire pan in one night (with another couple of course) but I almost burnt the flat down making them....

Exhibit A:
Somehow, Someway, despite my many attempts at baking and taking Mama Pen Pens cooking classes, I missed the part where parchment paper is flammable!!! Kind of an important thing to know. Something I'm sure everyone in the world knows but used-to-be-blond me.

So when I got the Oh So Gourmet thought to throw some mallows on top of these puppies and broil them in in the oven for a nice toasted marshmallow look...I found out pretty quickly! 

The parchment paper burst into flames. I immediately pulled the pan out and huffed and puffed with all my might, trying desperately to get the flame out so I wouldn't have to throw them in the sink and douse them in water. The thought of losing the krispies was literally my first thought.

I must have strong lungs because it worked! I carefully cut away the excess paper so that it would not touch the broiler again (duh!) and popped them back in the oven! I'd like to blame our extremely  small european oven for this embarrassing mishap but I am just going to have to chalk it up as a "learning experience" and try not to be such a dodo in the future.

They were worth every huff!

Kimmi's S'mores Krispies
 self titled. obviously.

5 cups Rice Krispies
1 bag marshmallows with 5 set aside
3 Tablespoons coconut oil (or REAL butter)
1 sleeve of graham crackers
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
sea salt
shredded coconut (optional)

Line a basic brownie dish (9x13) with parchment paper. OR to be on the safe side, just grease it up!

In a large mixing bowl, crush the grahams up so that there are just a few large chunks but mostly crumbs. Add the krispies and mix together.

Measure out chocolate chips and have ready for later.

Heat coconut oil in large saucepan until liquified over very low heat. Add marshmallows and patiently stir stir stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until it becomes a goo with basically no lumps. As soon as it is nice and gooey looking, pour over the grahams/rice krispies and stir together. After about 30 seconds when almost every cripsy rice is covered in marshmallow goodness and it has cooled down a bit, throw in the chocolate chips. This way the chips keep their form and don't completely melt into the goo. Gently finish mixing and pour into the baking dish. 

Wet the spatula with water to easily press them down into the pan. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of Sea Salt to offset the sweetness all over the top of these puppies. If you are a coconut freak like I am, then throw some shredded toasted coconut on top too. YUM!

Now if you want to be a fancy pants: set the oven to broil on high. Take the 5 extra marshmallows, and with kitchen scissors that have been run under cold water, chop them in half. Lay them cut side down on top of the rice krispies. Pop them under the broiler and don't step away. The mallows will brown up in no time.

Take them out. Let them cool. AND ENJOY!  




4 comments:

  1. Oh my...those sound and look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! i am definitely going to have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are seriously the best cook/baker! Eric is sooo lucky! Can you please live by me so you can make me yummy treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious! You are too cute, this story made me laugh! I love the way you write. I also love the artwork, turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete