Wednesday, June 26, 2013

CINQUE TERRE!

One night at a "girls dinner" my good friend Tina was raving about the time they just had in Cinque Terre. She loved it so much she totally sold me on it. I went home and told Eric, and after doing a little research on the place he was sold too! 

Cinque Terre means "five lands", and is a portion of rugged coastline along the Italian Riviera. Five villages, the coastline, and the surrounding hillsides are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. What makes it so charming is that only paths, trains, and boats connect the villages, cars cannot reach them from the outside. Tourists, like ourselves, go to do the hikes that connect the villages.

^^When we first arrived this was a one way tunnel that we had to wait 20 minutes at before it was our turn to go through. It seemed like the never ending tunnel.^^


The first night we got there, we did a hike around the town we were staying in. We ended on the top of a hill at this cute little church. I've seen a lot of churches during my time in Europe but this one was my favorite!




Looking back at the town we were staying in...

*hiking crew*

This day was our anniversary! Happy two years to us, not a bad place to spend it.


*Deiva Marina Bound*



We stayed in a town right outside of Cinque Terre and the next morning took a train in to start our hike. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever done/seen! We had blue skies and sun and then for about 10 minutes a hail storm!

^^The colorful village of Monterosso^^






me and pops :)







*H E L L O * P A R A D I S E*










The rain takes a nasty toll on the trail. Eric stepped right in to help people cross a sketchy part. Such a good man.








We hopped back on the train and then packed up and headed towards Vienna! It was a whirlwind trip but I felt like it was such an incredible experience. Seeing so many beautiful places and sharing it with Dad and Rochelle was awesome!

*Honey back at the wheel. He was such a trooper and drove every day at least 4 hours!*

I think we tuckered them out!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Kimmi, that looks absolutely incredible! P.S. I was telling Cody a few days ago that I am excited you may be able to make it to the shower and/or blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow!! These pictures are awesome. The scenery is GORGEOUS! I love reading about your little adventures.

    ReplyDelete